By design, Archives store the on-chain data in the "raw" format close to how the data is actually stored internally in the blocks. For example, the event and the call the data is SCALE-decoded, and EVM and WASM logs are binary encoded. The data is expected to be decoded by the squid processor once fetched from the Archive.
To be more precise,
SubstrateProcessor) provides a low-level
Chain interface which exposes:
- a lightweight and fast SCALE codec implementation
- a resilient gRPC client
- a metadata registry for on-chain data types.
The typegen CLI tools generate a boilerplate typescript classes on top of
- type-safe decode and track the runtime upgrades for the historical versions of the event, calls and storage items of interest
- type-safe decode EVM logs and provide a type-safe interface for the contract state queries:
- type-safe decode WASM logs: